A New Beginning
How in the world did you get to the United States? Or how was it that you got to Idaho? I am sincerely interested.
There is a BIG chance that someone in your family line immigrated from a very far distance to come to this, the Promised Land. What a blessing that is for you and me.
I recently found out that my and my wife’s great grandfathers settled part of Cache Valley TOGETHER and they served alongside each other in the local government. How awesome is that?
A New Year, A New Beginning
A new year quickly approaches. New Years Day has actually been my favorite holiday for many years. The idea of a NEW BEGINNING excites me. I love setting new goals and looking forward to new opportunities.
This new year, we of the family history committee have plans to begin a monthly activity which we ancitipate to be fun and eye-opening. It’s simple, really, and everyone should be able to participate.
Here is the basic plan:
1) Each new month we will have a theme. This theme will be tied to experiences and memories of our ancestors
2) Each individual will find photos and details of the specific theme among their ancestors
3) We will share our findings with each other on a specified “Story Night” and enjoy some treats.
And that's it! We connect with our ancestors and we connect with each other. It doesn’t get any better than that.
Would you like a sneak peak at our January theme? Well, here you go.
January’s Theme will be:
“A New Beginning - Our Immigrant Ancestors”
We invite you to get started! Here are some steps you can take:
1) Open Family Search on your device of choice
2) Sign-in with your username
3) Open up your family tree
4) Click on any of your grandparents from generations back
5) Click "Memories" and search and see if any life stories have been added there. If not, you might move on. If so, start reading! Were they an immigrant??
6) When you find your immigrant ancestors, find their best photo and copy and save it. Also, record where they came from and where they settled. Be prepared to share this.
We can’t wait to find out how YOU got here.
May God Bless and Heal Us in Our Efforts
We of the family history committee are eager to help you in your efforts. We can help you find your immigrant ancestor. Please let us know.
Stefan Wood, Ben Schetrompf, and Thomas Bala